The Åland Maritime Museum is a world class museum with a strong local presence.
The museum was re-opened on 26 April 2012, after a major re-development and extension project that was launched in 2009. The original building, drawn by Jonas Cedercreutz in the 1940’s, got an extension designed by architects Johanna Vuorinen and Esa Kangas.
The exhibition lay-out was designed by Helsinki-based studio Amerikka, in cooperation with Jouni Kaipia.
The Åland Maritime Museum Trust has received several awards for its work. In November 2017 the Trust received the Save the Children award for its inclusive educational work, in the spring of 2016, the Finnish Museums Association crowned the Maritime Museum ‘Museum of the Year’ and in the autumn of 2015 the Trust was given Visit Åland’s annual tourism award for its contribution to the tourism industry.
The Åland Maritime Museum signed up to the Green Key environment program in 2017 and is currently working towards a Green Key environmental certification for tourism establishments.